Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Clinic Day 6


Dr Jeff Harter with a happy recipient

Lions Club Banner

88yr-old woman smiling after being able to see clearly in a very long time

Dr Jane providing eyecare for an entire family

Luis Santiago with a happy recipient who will be able to read for the first time in years, thanks to two pairs of glasses

"Hi Morgan, Tristan, Ryan and Elizabeth. Having lots of fun, but boy they sure are making me work hard!! What a wonderful gift this mission experience is. Always the opportunity to help others. I tears of joy and sadness, but appreciate the experience, Love Dad." Dr Randy Edwards, LC, Chico, CA

"What an amazing experience! Hard to believe, I feel like I’m world’s away from home, yet the One Sight Team, the Lions Club members, the volunteers, and the patients all make me feel so welcome. I don’t have any single story about specific patients, ALL have been appreciative and deserving. To be able to contribute to so many others is a humbling experience and I’m so honored to be here. Want to say hi to Terri, Jaclyn, Jocelyn & Garrett back home in CA. Looking forward to seeing you soon, I miss you all." Rob Schmidt, LC, Sacramento, CA

1867! We had another very successful day of clinic. It is Tuesday, June 23rd and we can hardly believe we are on our last leg of our journey. We began clinic with a OneSight version of "We will, we will Rock You!" courtesy of Steve Losey. Our Lions Club hosts and volunteers look on with interest every morning to see how we begin our day.

Everyone is experiencing that special moment. Luis had his when he helped 77yr-old Tomasa read for the first time in years. She was fitted with a pair of "Chabella" glasses--special frames which resemble "Harry Potter" glasses and can be fitted with round lenses--that accomodate a wide variety of prescriptions. However, these only addressed her distance, which was a very high plus prescription with an astigmatism correction. By fitting her with a pair of +4.50 readers under her "Chabella's" she was able to see upclose for the first time in many years. She nearly cried with joy and expressed how happy she was that she could once again read, something she missed dearly. She is pictured above.

"I saw a shy little boy on Monday and fitted him with a pair of distance glasses, which caused him to smile really big. On Tuesday morning I saw him peaking out at me from the line of patients and wondered why. In a few moments I saw that he had brought his younger brother for his eye check and I fitted him with glasses also. That afternoon, I saw both of them in my line again, this time with their mother. It was her turn. When I examined her she told me how much the boys loved their new glasses. I felt privileged to have taken care of an entire family." Dr Jane Herman, Sears Optical, Marion, IL

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to post photo's and share with us at home. Knowing it takes so long for you to do with the slow internet makes me appreciate them even more. That and the fact that you do it after working a long day! You all are so wonderful and are impacting people in Paraguay and here at home.

    ReplyDelete