Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Clinic Day 7


Outdoor view of clinic

Dr Tanaz Mohammedi scoping a patient

Dr Randy Edwards with a patient

Dr Charles Steinberg examinines a patient

2635. What an amazing day! Our biggest day ever. The temperature started at a brisk 40F (5C), rose to 60F for 2 hours and fell back to 40F. It was cold! We gave the gift of sight to over 2600 recipients. Everyone has settled into their niches, whether it be refracting, dispensing, selecting or picking glasses. We manufactured over 150 pairs of 'Chabellas'.

Some of us had some amazing experiences; "I stepped outside of the clinic and a woman who was wearing the glasses she had just received, recognized my OneSight T-shirt and she said, 'I don't speak English very well, but I want to thank you and God blesses you for what you are giving to Paraguay', then she gave me a big hug." David Stotz, SGH, Cincinatti, OH

There were so many recipients that we extended the hours of the clinic so that no one would be turned away; "We soon forgot how cold and tired we were and pulled together as a team." Steve Losey, LC, Buffalo, NY

"Our time together is drawing to a close." (Marsha Russell, Mississauga, Canada) "In two days we will be saying goodbye to our extended family--Team Paraguay, June 2009--the Lions Club member and our many helpful volunteers. The experience we have had working together over the last one and one half weeks has provided us with many memories we will cherish for a lifetime. We have helped change the lives of many Paraguayans for the better and in the process our lives have also been changed. For this I am grateful."

Although we had an exciting day of clinic today, we look forward to tomorrow's clinic and the memories it will bring us.

6 comments:

  1. Once again, thanks for the update. I look forward to reading the blog every night, hearing how the day went. You all are doing an amazing job and it sounds like lives are being enriched on both sides. Rob, we miss you too and I'm looking forward to sitting outside by the fire talking for hours on end, catching up on two weeks worth of events! Terri, Rob's wife, Sacramento, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your stories. Loved seeing the pics from your clinics and from the day at the eco-adventure park. Your experience is able to touch lives here at home, too.

    Rapelling and ziplining, Jane?!!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see how truly amazing and dedicated the Paraguay team are. 2635 that’s a lot of people helped in one day and you guys did it amides everything else god bless and keep giving the gift of sight thanks for the new pics posted truly touching. Mel your journey in Paraguay is at the end, was wonderful to be able to follow, less than two days your new journey awaits you in La Chorrera Panama and the good thing about it I’ll be sharing that one with you ….so you take care and start packing….

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful it is that you are able to give the gift of sight to thousands of people this week!!!!! The pictures are heart warming.
    You are truly a GREAT TEAM!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Glenna!!! I'm so sorry I didn't know about this sooner!! Just went to write something on your facebook page and saw this!! I can't believe you ziplined! I am so jealous! I hope you are having a great time giving the gift of site!!! Can't wait to hear all about it! Have a great rest of your mission and keep up the great work!
    love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi to all .. I was a volunteer and I can say that my experience was the most beautiful I have ever had. here because it almost never go to things like this, that is why many people came because the glasses were free, I was able to account people who had up to 70 years or more in your life that never used the glasses because they had no money to pay .. but now they have a smile from ear to ear. thanks for all guys .. David Aiub paraguay-piribeuy .. my msn davidaiub@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete